When Trouble Comes …


Dear Readers:

What do you do when trouble comes? When dread clutches its icy fingers around your heart, or unimaginable images boggle the mind, what do you do?

I’ve been away a few days, but by the grace of God, I am back. Yes, an unforeseen event — beyond my control — brought me to my knees. It began when I received an unexpected phone call twelve days ago . . .

“Mom, come to the job site; Pops fell off the ladder–”

“What? No!”

“He’s not responding now, Mom. I need to call 911.”

By the time I arrive at the scene, paramedics surround my husband. They have him in a neck brace and on a gurney, asking him questions. He is in and out of conscientiousness, unable to say where he is or what has happened. At that moment, many things become a blur to me. I try to follow the ambulance to the Emergency Hospital, lest I become lost due to complete disarray and panic.

So there I sit in the midst of the storm, waiting and interceding:  I can’t leave this hospital without him, Lord! 

I soon received word that my husband suffers from severe injuries from falling off the 20′ ladder. Even though he missed the concrete, he sustains thirteen fractured ribs and partially collapsed lungs. A surgeon is assigned to Mark and once in the ER, they insert a chest tube to inflate his lungs.

I call on family and friends to please pray for my husband . . .

When the accident occurred, my daughter and husband were working together. She joins me in the waiting room. “Mom,” she said, “when I got to Pops, he was praying, ‘Please help me, Jesus … heal me, Lord.'”

That piece of news soothes my soul — it comforts my heart, it encourages me — it encourages us all! You see, after his fall, my husband is unable to communicate, yet his spirit-man cries out to God for help!

This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him and saved him out of all his troubles. Psalm 34:6.

15045729_10207832063581448_925697627_nI stay in ICU as long as I can before they send me home. Three days later, they transfer Mark to a private room with a common germ on the skin called MRSA (a type of Staph). I remain with hubby in his room for the duration of his stay. He is in a lot of pain and discomfort. The morphine pump doesn’t seem to be enough. Every day, several times a day, two or three blood samples from different veins are taken for blood culture. Only problem is that Mark’s veins are small rolling veins, which eventually cause his arm to become tender and swell up.

We’re so blessed to have our dear pastors from church come by, as well as a few other visitors, dressed in gloves and gowns to pray over Mark. On the fourth day, the doctor removes my husband’s chest tube, but he is not out of the woods yet . . .

Day Five: Mark experiences excruciating pain in his leg, so much so that his blood pressure elevates to a 103-degree fever. Still unable to sit up, they wheel him out on his bed for additional x-rays of his hip, femur, and leg. When they return, he is knocked out. In the wee hours of the morning, he’s awakened drenched in sweat, tugging and pulling off his gown, tangled with the wires he’s connected to. I buzz for the nurse and try holding him down until help comes. They cool his body and when they use a wet cloth on his brow and neck, he says it feels good.

Day Six: The doctor leaves after checking in on Mark. That same hour, Mark says he feels a chill. I figure maybe his fever has worn off and I cover him with another blanket. But he complains of still feeling cold and begins to shiver. Ten minutes into it, he takes a turn for the worse. I call for the nurse. She comes with a couple of extra blankets, telling Mark he’ll soon be warm, and leaves. Mark’s shivers become more vigorous and uncontrollable, he even starts wheezing. After a few more minutes of shivering, he becomes unresponsive. I run out to fetch help.

The nurse comes in and rushes back out and calls for a Code Blue. Within minutes, a rapid response team of ten to fifteen people arrives at Mark’s bedside bringing along some emergency equipment; even the chaplain walks in. While the team is surrounding Mark, the chaplain is trying to speak with me. He asks if I am the wife. He says he can see how much love I have for my husband. But I don’t want to chat with him. I want to talk with Mark. The doctor comes and asks me what has happened. “You tell me,” I answered.

I quickly phone my son, telling him of Mark’s condition and to pray. I remain near Mark’s bedside and caress his face while talking to him. And I look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of my faith. I don’t know how many minutes pass before the doctor and the entire team, work on getting Mark to respond. Thank God, my husband finally comes to!

More test. They find that Mark has a bout of pneumonia, as well as an unknown infection in his blood. He is off of morphine and Norco is given for pain. Now they have him on a broad spectrum of antibiotics for infections. Three days later, the infection he has is called Acinetobacter, commonly isolated from the hospital environment and hospitalized patients. In other words, this type of bacteria is frequently associated with healthcare-associated infections.

Day Nine: Mark is able to sit up in a chair for a short period of time. That evening, he is using a walker as we walk around the corridor. The hospital staff is amazed and delighted. It is obvious that they adore my hubby.

It is of the LORD’S mercies that we are not consumed because his compassions fail not. Lamentations 3:22

Day Ten: Homeward bound!

I am happy to report that hubby is resting and quite content being back home. I appreciate everyone that extended their love, prayers, and encouragement on our behalf. I may feel a bit worn out, but then again, I am one grateful woman. We have much to be thankful for.

I once read, “It is hard to wrap your heart around trouble when it pierces your soul.” So when trouble comes knocking at your door, don’t walk it alone. Give it to God and reach out to others for encouragement and support.

He only is my rock and my salvation, My stronghold; I shall not be greatly shaken. Psalm 62:2

© M.A. Pérez, 2016, All Rights Reserved



Filed under Code Blue, crisis

17 responses to “When Trouble Comes …

  1. Amen and god bless for your sharing and continued faith

  2. Light Ministry Blog

    A horrific story with an incredible and wonderful ending! Bless your family for keeping God in the forefront of everything…He was in control all the way!

    Glad to hear Mark is back home and everyone is doing so much better…


  3. Mary, I am so sorry to learn of your husband’s accident. I will include you both in my prayers tonight. I imagine you’ll have a lot to be thankful for next Thursday. God bless you both.

    • Thank you, Joe. He continues to make slow progress but nevertheless, it’s progress. Imagine, every hiccup, cough and sneeze hurt. Meds make him lightheaded and nauseated where he doesn’t feel like eating. He’s lost a lot of weight … by the grace of God we will keep our plans from several months ago and fly into Miami to be with family for Thanksgiving. Appreciate continued prayers. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

  4. May the Lord’s healing peace and love encircle your family, and may the Lord heal Mark totally…even in the hidden places, so he has a complete recovery!

    Love and blessings,

  5. Oh Mary, I’ve been so far behind on my reading and just now read this post. I’m so sorry you all have gone through this – but through is a great word.
    Praying for complete recovery and rest for you all ❤️

  6. Mary I feel you. I experienced similar but not due to a fall.. or what tragedy happened with Mark. My Husband was admitted to the same hospital on August 12, 2016. The complications were due to cancer. Low and behold, My husband Travis fought like a solider to shield me from his pain and suffering. I also, slept in his ICU and private room while he was hospitalized. Therefore, witnessing every aspect of the illness and how rapidly it took control of his body, Travis and I were not married then, we decided to officially to remove the partner to become married in accord with God’s Holy Ordinances. On August 18, 2016 we were united in Holy Matrimony by Judge Joel Clouser .. Justice of the Peace 13 days later, Travis accept Jesus’ hand and passed away At Harbour Hospice, Houston Texas .. we tried Hospice at home, his choice, but he was too ill and needed countless care.

    You are a champ and blessing to your Mark,… thank you for sharing and allowing me to share along with others, the dreadful experience of sudden changes and then being there… unfortunately I am now alone..

    • Dear Sweet Florence, this gives me pause and what you have shared, pierces the heart. You having been there with your soul-mate all the way to the end, trusting and relying on God all the way to the end. How could we not? We don’t always know God’s will, but we shall continue to trust His plan for us. May we learn to be thankful and grateful with our loved ones this side of heaven, for in a moment’s notice – it can all be gone! Thank you for sharing your heart with us, Florence.

  7. Continued prayers for Mark’s full recovery.

  8. Thank God he is doing better and home with you again!

I think I'm getting addicted to comments. Please feed the addict & leave a reply.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s